- Cooking time: More than 2 hours
- Serves: 12
- Recipe Type: Mains
- Main Ingredient: Pork
- 3 kilograms boneless gammon
- 3 ml ground allspice
- 3 ml PnP ground cinnamon
- 5 cloves, plus extra for studding
- 10 PnP peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large PnP carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 stalksPnP celery, sliced
- 2 leeks, washed and roughly chopped
- 2 large PnP onions, quartered
- 2 cups glaze, of your choice
- Place all ingredients except glaze in a large pot and cover with enough cold water to submerge the gammon.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 2 hours, or until tender and cooked through.
- Remove from heat and allow ham to cool in the water.
- Place gammon on a roasting tray.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the skin off the gammon, leaving a layer of fat.
- Score diamond shapes in the fat and stud the centre of each diamond with a clove.
- Liberally brush the gammon with glaze and roast for 20-30
- minutes, basting with more glaze as you go until golden and caramelised.
- Cooking time may vary, depending on the glaze you use
Serve with Roast butternut with taleggio and hazelnut dressing (click here for recipe)
Article credit: http://christmas.picknpay.co.za/recipe/festive-gammon/