Effective 2018, Discovery Health Medical Scheme members on all plans will have access to comprehensive maternity and post-birth benefits. This will be covered from the Maternity Benefit at the Discovery Health Rate and will not affect the members day-to-day benefits.
Members will have access to the following during their pregnancy:
- 12 antenatal consultations with the gynaecologist, GP or midwife
- Five pre- or postnatal classes or consultations with a registered nurse
- Two ultrasound scans
- One nuchal translucency or Non-Invasive Prenatal Test (NIPT)
- A defined basket of blood tests per pregnancy
- Up to R1 880 per day in a private ward for the delivery in-hospital
- Essential registered devices eg breast pumps and smart thermometers up to R5 000 with a 25% co-payment.
Members will have access to the following (up to two years after childbirth):
- The baby is covered up to two visits with GP, paediatrician or an ENT
- The mother will be covered for the following:
- One six week post-birth consultation with a midwife, GP or gynaecologist
- One nutrition assessment with a dietitian
- Two mental health consultations with a counsellor or psychologist
- One lactation consultation with a registered nurse or lactation specialist.
Note: Benefits are subject to change and can vary according to the members chosen plan.
The new app called ‘My Pregnancy and My Baby’ will give members access to 24/7 clinical support, advice and guidance.
The benefits will only be activated once the member creates a pregnancy profile on the following platforms:
- Discovery mobile app
- Discovery website
- When a member preauthorises their delivery
- When the baby is registered onto the Scheme
Information received from Discovery health and is subject to change